Garbage Collection Reminders
Good afternoon owners,
This is just a quick reminder from the Association regarding garbage collection policies in the City of Charleston. The information below can be found at the City of Charleston website and has been provided for your convenience.
Please be mindful not to leave items outside of the garbage can. All items must be in the can with the lid closed in order to be collected.
See below and let us know if you have any questions or concerns!
Garbage collection (items inside of green carts) will continue on schedule. Citizens are reminded that cardboard and other items that are not inside the green garbage cart will not be collected for the safety of the crews. This change is consistent with Charleston County and other area municipalities in an effort to limit employees’ potential exposure to COVID-19. Any excess items that do not fit in the garbage cart can be taken to a Charleston County Convenience Center: https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/environmental-management/recycle-locations.php.
Please see the City of Charleston’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 Website for the latest updates.
About the Service
Garbage Collection serves both residential and commercial customers:
- Residential garbage is collected once weekly, from standardized containers using semi-automated collection equipment.
- Commercial garbage is collected six days a week.
- Restaurant garbage collection is a specialized route and is collected seven days a week.
Garbage Collection Policies
Garbage containers should be placed at the curb no earlier than 6 p.m. the day before scheduled pick-up and removed as soon as possible after pickup, but no later than 6 p.m. on the scheduled pickup days.
Place containers within 2 feet of the curb with handle facing away from curb and at least 3 feet from any obstructions such as:
- Recycling containers
Garbage Container Guidelines
To properly fill your garbage container, please follow these guidelines:
- Drain and wrap or bag wet garbage.
- Nothing should stick out of the top or hang over the sides of the container.
- The lid of your container should close.
- Don’t place objects on top of closed lids or in front of containers.