Pet Owner Responsibilities
A few reminders of pet owner responsibilities:
• Pets need be leashed and under control at all times. This includes cats who should never be allowed to wander.
• Please be a courteous neighbor and pick up after your pets, be respectful and clean up all areas including sidewalks/walkways, vacant lots, common areas and individuals property. Dog waste is more than just a smelly and unsightly mess. It’s also a breeding ground for infection. Bacteria, worms and other parasites thrive in the waste until it’s cleaned up or washed into the water supply. Giardia, ringworm, roundworm and E. coli are examples of such inhabitants, all of which are commonly found in dog feces and are easily transferable upon contact. Although this may not be a pleasant chore, it is the responsibility of a pet owner.
Please contact your local Animal Control to report pet concerns as Animal Control maintains jurisdiction regarding local pet/animal ordinances. Thank you!
Berkeley County Animal Control
ANIMAL SERVICES AFTER HOURS
After Hours, weekends, holidays: FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY – Call 911. Examples of an emergency are; animal bites, injured animal, or aggressive animals. For all other complaints and reports, call 843-719-4300.
ANIMAL SERVICES LAWS / MOST COMMON VIOLATIONS
- No owner shall fail to provide their animal(s) or pet(s) with:
- sufficient good and wholesome food and water,
- proper shelter and protection from the weather,
- veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering,
- and humane care and treatment.
- No person shall beat, cruelly treat, torment, overload, overwork, or otherwise abuse an animal, or cause, instigate, or permit any dogfight, or other combat between animals or between animals and humans.
- No owner of an animal shall abandon such animal.
- The owner of a dog or cat must have it inoculated against rabies at a frequency to provide continuous protection of the animal from rabies using a vaccine approved by the Department of Health and Environmental Control and administered by a licensed veterinarian.
- It shall be unlawful for any owner or custodian of any pet or animal to permit same to run at large at any time upon any street or highway or other property within the County, except upon property owned or rented by the owner or custodian.
- No pet or animal shall be permitted to be on school grounds or in a shopping area or similar public place unless on a leash at all times